Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hurry Springtime and the impending Valentine's Day

The month of February begins with cold wind, dreary skies, and hearts and candy boxes scattered throughout the aisles of Wal-Mart and Walgreen's everywhere.  Valentine's Day was always a day of roses and sweets in our house when I was a child.  Dad always made sure every woman (and/or little girl with excited eyes) was gifted on this special day of love.  Though we thought this day was special, it only went along with the other 364  days that were scattered with love.

After the Valentine's Day retail scurry is over, Easter eggs and the Easter bunny are our focus.  Easter means springtime, resurrection, new beginnings, and a gift from God. The weather begins to warm, and winter is over. 

This year, because there is no one special in  my life for the ceremonies of Valentine's Day, I'll overlook it. I'll show my children how much I love them, get my granddaughter a cute stuffed animal, and buy my Mom roses,  just as I have every year since my father passed away.  There will be no need to scour the card aisle for that special romantic card.  I can skip it this year.  Last year I bought a card, but Valentine's  Day was cancelled because of snow. 

This year, I will look forward to Easter, scan the skies for the first robin in the yard, and the sunrise service.  Spring will be welcomed after the cold of winter.  The breezes will be warm, and the sun will shine. And then there are the flowers!  I will once again be somewhat of a "luck photographer", simply because one little flower can render a hundred angles for a photographer.

For those of you who have a special Valentine, don't forget to show the love every day of the year. For those who don't, Spring is just around the corner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment